Would you believe it if we told you that for many centuries there was a city in Bohemia that was capable of rivaling even the capital, Prague? If you answered yes, then you must have surely heard of the "Mining Mountain", or as we call it in Czech – Kutna Hora! Thanks to its legendary silver mines, the city was in every sense a political, cultural and financial challenger to the capital of Bohemia between the 13th and 16th centuries.
Travel with us on this day tour from Prague and discover this perfectly preserved medieval jewel. As a testament to its integrity, the entire historical center of Kutna Hora was listed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List in 1995. As we guide you through it, we will also find there the Late Gothic wonder, the Cathedral of St. Barbara. Today it is considered the symbol of the city, and you will learn that not only is this Cathedral one of the most architecturally significant Gothic structures in the Czech lands, but also that St. Barbara was the patron saint of miners, which is why the Cathedral was chosen to have this name. You will quickly find out that being the famous mining town that it is, the culture of Kutna Hora was dominated by things that relate to this profession.
After all, at the peak of the mining operations there, one third of all European silver used to come from Kutna Hora. This unprecedented wealth caused the town to flourish and it is not by accident that the city had the nickname of being the "national treasury" of the Czech Kingdom. Besides the Gothic cathedrals you will find many beautiful gothic, renaissance and baroque townhouses, and a sleepy yet charming local atmosphere.
But the highlight of the trip is something else entirely. In Kutna Hora you will find something that can be found nowhere else in the world: the Sedlec Ossuary. This is a church decorated with the remains of 40,000 dead humans, in the shapes of pyramids, goblets, shields, even writings on the wall. There is even a chandelier that contains every single bone in the human body. Without exaggerating, there is simply nothing like this anywhere else in the world.
Join us on this day trip to this fantastic medieval city and be ready to be both amazed and perhaps disgusted by what you might find…
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transportation by modern bus with WiFi
- USB charger
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
- English speaking guide. German, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian is available upon request.
- Local phone support with English speaking consultants
- Local fees and VAT
- Food and beverages
- Gratuities (optional)
- Child rates from 3 to 11 years (incl.). Free access for infants below 3 years.
- Tour is always operated in English, but commentary might be given in other language too.
- The tour departs daily at 12:30 pm from the Prague Main Train Station at Wilsonova 8. Hotel pick ups commence prior to this time.
- Please kindly note that a moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Tour is not accessible for wheelchairs.
- Prague Main Railway Station, Wilsonova 8
- For a full refund, cancel at least 36 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- If you cancel later than 36 hour before the start date of your experience or in case of no-show refund will not be possible.